03.03.22 – THREE NOTCH ROAD
Originally an Indigenous trade route, the Three Notch Road was constructed by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824 to facilitate military communication between Pensacola and Ft. Mitchell, Ala. The 233-mile path was officially known as Road No. 6 but named locally for the distinctive horizontal notches blazed into trees by advancing surveyors as they marked the route for the builders who followed. Capt. Daniel Burch oversaw construction of the road which was wide enough to allow “carriages, carts, wagons, &c.” and included “substantial wooden bridges” over those streams which were not so wide as to require ferries to cross. Three Notch Road was the major thoroughfare for those coming from Georgia into present-day eastern Alabama once the territory was opened to settlement following Indian Removal.